Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankscoming

This is my third year of writing a Thanksgiving Day post.

This year, I feel oddly liberated from our family's Midwestern traditions.  And I don't feel like it's so important that we're all together, doing the same thing in the same place.

I'm not longing for the chilly Illinois winds. And for family news, gossip and pictures?  I've got Facebook.  Colorful fall leaves?  They're already in the blue bins.

Instead, I'm thinking ahead.

Here's a list of things I plan to be thankful for next year:

- For finally meeting young Kalven

- For seeing my niece and nephew bring new children into the world

- For the weekend in Tallahassee with Tommy and Andrew, watching the Seminoles beat the Gators

- For the 2012 Sidewalk Chalk Art festival - posing with my giant neon shark (see "mother earth" from the 2011 show (not mine) to the right here)

- For peaceful, blissful, un-lonely hours spent driving in the mini, top down, watching cattle and palmetto and keeping an eye open for turtles and snakes in the road

- For the redneck voice - (another great year) - and that I got to say "Jimbo Fisher" a lot with it

- For Starbucks (OK, I really do need to lay off the caffeine (that was said in the redneck voice))

- For earning my post-graduate degree in adolescent management - enough said

- For Florida - the gulf, the storms, the sun, the feeling

- For the chance to look up at the stars and see the Milky Way on the beach at Boca Grande

- For seeing Matthew take one more step toward the Air Force Academy

- For seeing Tommy step up to his destiny

- For seeing Andrew get one year closer to the man I know he will be

- For the wonderful women in my life

- For Julie (again and again)

- For my parents

- For my cool, smart brother and his new peace

- For my new friends and old friends - and for me learning how to be a better friend

- For a victorious end to the fight - and a blessed return to normality

I am optimistic and hopeful.  And thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Superman, Good Friday, and New Beginnings

 A few years ago, on the morning of Good Friday, I texted my siblings to remind them of their afternoon responsibilities. "It's Goo...